June 20, 2010

The Arphasian Seeing Stone

“What’s the prognosis, doctor?” Tiffany joked.


“Your u-bend is free and clear,” the plumber said.


“How much do I owe you?”


“Well,” the plumber began as he swung his bag over his shoulder, accidentally dropping most of its contents.


“Oh, let me help you,” Tiffany offered, rushing towards the mess.


“No!” the plumber exclaimed. “I’ve got it.”


He scrambled to sweep the pile of papers, tools, and trinkets back into his bag. He reached for a translucent grey stone, but was blocked by Tiffany’s hand. She snatched it up.


“You were going to steal from me?” Tiffany seethed.


The plumber stood up.


“Get out of my house!” Tiffany roared.


“No. Give me the seeing stone first,” the plumber said.


Tiffany raised an eyebrow in disbelief as she rose to her feet.


“Are you serious?! Get out of my house before I call the cops!”


“I’m not leaving without that stone.”


Tiffany stormed over to an end table that held her cell phone.


“I’m calling the police,” she said as she flipped the phone open.


The plumber whipped out a gun from his pocket and shot her through the heart. Tiffany collapsed, the seeing stone rolling from her hand. The plumber walked over to it, bent down and picked it up. He pulled out his own cell phone.


“Hey Harper?”


“Yeah?”


“I need Mac.”


“Did you get the Arphasian seeing stone?” Harper asked.


“Yeah.”


“And Tiffany Brown? Did she suspect anything?”


“That’s why I need Mac. I screwed up.”


“Mac’s out on assignment. What happened?”


“I shot her.”


“Jesus. Well you know what’s at stake if we don’t get that stone. It was a small price to pay.”


“Not small enough,” the plumber said as he gazed upon Tiffany’s body and tossed the Arphasian seeing stone lightly in his hand.


“I’ll send Parker,” Harper said.


“I’ll be here.”

No comments:

Post a Comment